Bak Kwa (Chinese Pork Jerky), a smoky, fragrant and savory snack that remains a popular Chinese New Year treat or any time of the year, really!
Bak Kwa (Chinese Pork Jerky), a Chinese sweet and salty dried meat product that is similar to jerky, is immensely popular in Singapore and Malaysia where it is usually consumed during Chinese New Year. In the weeks leading up to Chinese New Year, you'll often see a line of customers outside Bak Kwa shops, waiting to purchase this Hokkien delicacy. Prices of Bak Kwa before and during Chinese New Year often see a rise as well.
This is my second year making Bak Kwa at home, as I have not been able to find any here in Houston. My kids love it and so does my jerky loving friends. The recipe that I used is very simple, although a little time consuming. But what's better that kicking back with a glass of wine or a pint of beer as you grill some smoky flavored Bak Kwa with your family in your backyard!
adapted from "The Meat Men Singapore"
2.2 lbs Ground Pork
1/2 tsp Cinnamon Powder
1/4 tsp Chinese 5-Spice Powder
1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
1/2 tsp White Pepper Powder
2 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
2 tbsp Fish Sauce
1 tbsp Hua Tiao Cooking Wine
1 cup Sugar
1 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
1. Marinate ground pork in a large bowl with cinnamon powder, 5 spice powder, coriander powder, white pepper powder, light soy sauce, fish sauce, cooking wine, sugar and dark soy sauce. Mix well and marinate for 1 hour.
2. Line 2 large baking trays with parchment paper.
3. Spread the marinated ground meat thinly onto the 2 large baking trays.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 min.
5. Cut the pork into squares and grill over a charcoal pit, glazing them with honey.
6. Grill for about 2 min each side or until it is lightly charred.
A Singaporean SAHM living in Houston, Texas. Discovering her potential in the kitchen with authentic Singaporean Cuisine. And exploring the dynamic food scene Houston has to offer.
Miss Crumbs A Lot is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
For more details, please read my Disclosure Policy.