Basic Donuts, a super quick and easy recipe made with ingredients that you would probably already have in your pantry.
Basic Donuts is a recipe that is made from scratch and so simple to make, you can have them ready in under 20 minutes. With basic ingredients that you would probably already have in your pantry, the flavor is anything but basic. With this classic donut recipe, you can let your creativity take over by creating different shapes and seasoning them in various ways.
Bella and Jamie are always starving after they come home from school. So, I decided to make some homemade donuts for them. I kept it simple by dusting the donuts with powdered sugar. Other seasoning suggestions include cinnamon sugar, glazing, topping with icing and sprinkles etc.
by Miss Crumbs A Lot, adapted from allrecipes.com
2 tbsp White Vinegar
6 tbsp Milk
2 tbsp Shortening (butter flavor)
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour (sifted and divided)
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 quart Vegetable Oil (for frying)
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar (for dusting)
1. Mix 2 tbsp of white vinegar with 6 tbsp of milk together. Set aside as it thickens slightly.
2. Cream 2 tbsp of shortening with 1/2 cup sugar until smooth.
3. Add in 1 eggs and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
4. Mix in 1 cup sifted all purpose flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/4 tsp salt until well combined.
5. Add in vinegar and milk mixture. Mix until well combined.
6. Add in 1 more cup of sifted all purpose flour. Mix until well combined and a soft dough is formed.
7. Heat 1 quart vegetable oil in a pot over medium heat.
8. At this point, the dough will be very soft and sticky. Dust counter top and hands with the remaining 1/4 cup of sifted all purpose flour.
9. Pinch off about 3 tbsp of dough, roll into a ball with hands then press it flat on the counter top till about 1/4 inch thick. Using a bottle cap, cut out a hole in the middle and immediately place dough into oil to fry. You may fry the cut out holes and make donut holes or combine them to make a whole donut.
10. Fry until they are golden brown, turning over once. You may have to lower the heat to prevent the donuts from browning too quickly. Drain the donuts on paper towels then dust them with powdered sugar or any other seasoning of choice.
Makes 10 3" wide pieces
A Singaporean SAHM living in Houston, Texas. Discovering her potential in the kitchen with authentic Singaporean Cuisine. And exploring the dynamic food scene Houston has to offer.
Miss Crumbs A Lot is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
For more details, please read my Disclosure Policy.