Belachan Chicken Wings, a simple and easy dish made with fermented shrimp paste - an ingredient ubiquitous to Singaporean cuisine.
Belachan Chicken Wings is an even more simplified version of the Shrimp Paste Chicken (Har Cheong Gai) recipe that I had shared previously. Shrimp paste is a fermented condiment and an ingredient that is commonly used in Singaporean cuisine, readily available in most Asian supermarkets here in the US.
When we were still living in Singapore, before marriage and kids, my then-boyfriend (now-husband) Kian and I would often frequent this bar called "Ice Cold Beer". And we have to be honest with you, we were not always there just for their ice cold beers. It is for their Belachan Chicken Wings! It is by far, one of the best chicken wings we have had. So, a couple of weeks ago, I attempted this recipe and boy, did it bring back immense memories. Even Bella and Jamie loved it.
Belachan Chicken Wings
by Miss Crumbs A Lot, adapted from The MeatMen SG
24 pieces Chicken Wings (mid joints and drumlets)
2 1/2 oz Belachan (dried fermented shrimp paste block)
3/4 tsp White Pepper Powder
1 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
1 1/2 tsp Sugar
3/4 tsp Salt
6 tbsp Vegetable Oil
1. In a food processor, blend belachan, white pepper powder, coriander powder, sugar, salt and vegetable oil until a smooth paste is formed.
2. Place chicken wing pieces and belachan mixture in a large bowl and mix well. Allow it to marinate for 1 to 2 hours.
3. Using an airfryer (I used Phillips), air fry at 360 degrees F for 25 minutes or until wings are golden brown.
4. Alternative, you can bake in an oven at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes on the middle rack, then place it on the top rack and broil on low for 8 to 10 minutes on each side of the wings until they are golden brown.
5. Last cooking method is to deep fry until golden brown, remove and drain off excess oil.
A Singaporean SAHM living in Houston, Texas. Discovering her potential in the kitchen with authentic Singaporean Cuisine. And exploring the dynamic food scene Houston has to offer.
Miss Crumbs A Lot is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
For more details, please read my Disclosure Policy.