Black Pepper Crab on Deviled Eggs to spice things up with a Singaporean twist using the basic deviled eggs.
Black Pepper Crab on Deviled Eggs, taking your basic deviled eggs recipe to a whole new level with this spicy and savory Singaporean twist! In Singapore, one can enjoy a wide variety of seafood. From sambal stingray, crispy fried baby squids to one of my all time favorites, chili and black pepper crab. With a great selection of seafood restaurants, it is often a popular choice for family and get-together meals.
I love black pepper crab and it is one of those dishes that I have always wanted to try making on my own. Hard shell crabs fried with freshly ground peppercorns are often used in this dish. Unlike chili crab, it is not cooked in a sauce and hence, has a dry consistency.
I decided to have a go at making this dish but with a little twist. Lately, I have been having deviled eggs at restaurants and I started to realize a trend with this classic appetizer - a robust flavored topping. Twice at different restaurants, I had the creamy and tangy finger food topped with a delectable smoked salmon. And that got me thinking! I could totally top a deviled egg with the legendary Singapore black pepper crab. So, I am pleased to share a recipe that I developed on my own. *grin*
Black Pepper Crab on Deviled Eggs - Singapore Style!
by Miss Crumbs A Lot
Deviled Eggs Ingredients
1/2 cup Japanese Mayonnaise
2 tsp Soy Sauce
2 tsp Rice Wine Vinegar
Black Pepper Crab Ingredients
1 cup Jumbo Lump Crab Meat
1/2 tbsp Black Peppercorns
1/2 tsp White Peppercorns
1/2 tbsp Chopped Garlic
1/2 tbsp Chopped Shallots
1/2 tsp Chilli Padi (finely sliced)
2 tsp Fermented Black Bean Paste (I used Lee Kum Kee Black Bean and Garlic Paste)
1/2 tbsp Oyster Sauce
1/2 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tsp Sugar
2 tbsp Butter
Spring Onions / Scallions (finely sliced)
1. Place eggs in a pot and fill it with water until it covers the eggs. Bring it to a boil, remove from heat and let the eggs stand in the hot water for 15 min. Remove the eggs from the hot water, cool under cold running water and peel.
2. Cut each egg in half lengthwise and place the egg yolks in a food processor. Add mayonnaise, soy sauce and rice wine vinegar. Process until smooth.
3. Spoon or pipe (in a piping bag) yolk mixture into egg whites. Set aside.
4. Crush black and white peppercorns. Toast the crushed peppercorns in a wok until it is fragrant. Dish out and set aside.
5. Melt butter in wok. Add chopped garlic, shallots, black bean paste, toasted peppercorns and chilli padi. Stir fry for a few minutes.
6. Add oyster sauce, soy sauce and sugar. Stir well.
7. Add crab meat and stir fry for another 5 min.
8. Spoon crab meat onto prepared deviled eggs. Garnish with spring onions.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
A Singaporean SAHM living in Houston, Texas. Discovering her potential in the kitchen with authentic Singaporean Cuisine. And exploring the dynamic food scene Houston has to offer.
Miss Crumbs A Lot is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
For more details, please read my Disclosure Policy.