Ginger Carrot Soup, a warm and satisfying recipe that is also quick and easy to prepare to kick start your Autumn season.
Ginger Carrot Soup, a healthy and vitamin packed soup recipe that requires only a handful of basic ingredients. With a little hint of Asian flavor, this quick and easy to prepare soup will kickstart your Autumn season in a warm and satisfying way.
2 weeks ago, September 22, 2017, specifically, marked the first day of Fall. I love Fall, it is my favorite season of the year. Although here in Houston, Fall means temperatures between a high of the 80s and low of the 60s, I always looked forward to being able to boots & sweaters, sip on warm drinks and have hearty Fall recipe meals. It is during this time that the delicious bounty of Fall will often be featured. From the ever popular pumpkin spice latte to apple pies.
So last week, Kian was traveling to Singapore for work. I wished the kids and I could tag along but with school in session, it was just not possible. When he is not around, I tend to prepare smaller and simpler meals for the kids and myself. I had some carrots and celery left in the refrigerator and I asked Bella if she would like some soup for dinner. She read my mind and said it would be a healthy idea, especially if I blended the soup. She went on to admit that she is a fussy eater (she really isn't that bad) and that this was a great way to get her to have her vegetables. I was pleased we were on the same there.
I decided to add in some ginger to give the soup some Fall "warmth" and "heat". And because ginger can be very pungent and spicy, I topped the soup with some rehydrated goji berries. The goji berries would add a little sweetness to soup and tone down the zesty ginger heat a little. I made the recipe with 1 3/4 oz of minced ginger and that was a little to spicy for Jamie. He took a couple of sips and was not able to have anymore. So it was chicken and beef fajitas to save the day. Bella loved it though. She had 2 bowls of it. So if you like ginger and its heat, you can consider going with more ginger. If not, I think 1 oz of ginger would be plentiful.
Ginger Carrot Soup
by Miss Crumbs A Lot
6 Carrots (approx. 1 lb) (roll cut or diagonally)
4 stalks Celery (approx. 7 oz) (sliced)
1 onion (cut into wedges)
1 to 1 3/4 oz Minced Ginger (1 oz is plentiful, use 1 3/4 oz if you want it spicier)
3 cloves Garlic (minced)
3 cup Chicken Stock
2 tbsp Olive Oil
Goji Berries (rehydrated in water)
1. In a cast iron pot or pot with a heavy bottom, heat up 2 tbsp olive oil. Add in minced ginger and garlic, stir fry until fragrant.
2. Add in onions and continue stir frying until they are about to turn translucent.
3. Add in carrots and celery, stir fry until vegetables are 'sweating" (moisture rises to the surface of the vegetables)
4. Add in 3 cups of chicken stock and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium/low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
5. Using a hand blender, blend the vegetables until a smooth purée is formed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Garnish with rehydrated goji berries and serve warm.
A Singaporean SAHM living in Houston, Texas. Discovering her potential in the kitchen with authentic Singaporean Cuisine. And exploring the dynamic food scene Houston has to offer.