Sayur Lodeh (Coconut Vegetable Stew), a fuss free and wholesome curry vegetable dish that is great on its own as a meal or as a side dish.
Sayur Lodeh (Coconut Vegetable Stew) consists of a variety of vegetables that is simmered in a coconut milk curry that is enriched with chicken stock. So wholesome, you can have it on its own as a main dish or as a side dish with rice.
I made a version with cabbage, carrots and green beans with fried tofu but you can definitely get creative and add in your favorite vegetables. Other ingredients that might work in this dish include cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, firm tofu or even potatoes.
Sayur Lodeh (Coconut Vegetable Stew)
by Miss Crumbs A Lot
2 tbsp Dried Shrimps (rinsed and drained)
1 1/2 oz Red Chillies (rinsed, seeded and sliced)
5 oz Shallots
1 oz Ginger (skinned)
2 stalks Lemongrass (white portion only and sliced)
4 candlenuts (soaked in water to soften)
1 tbsp Turmeric Powder
8 cups Water
3 tbsp Chicken Bouillon Powder
3/4 Cabbage (cut in wedge pieces)
20 Green Beans (cut into 1" pieces)
2 carrots (sliced)
4 pieces Fried Tofu (cut into triangles)
1 1/2 cup Coconut Milk
2 tbsp Cooking Oil
1. In a food processor, blend dried shrimps, red chillies, shallots, ginger, lemongrass, candlenuts and turmeric powder until a smooth paste is formed. Set aside.
2. In a large pot, heat cooking oil over medium heat and add in the blended spice paste. Stir fry until fragrant. Add in water, chicken bouillon powder and bring it to a boil over high heat.
3. Once boiling, add in cabbage, green beans, carrots and fried tofu. Cover the pot and simmer over low heat until vegetables are soft.
4. Add in coconut milk and season with salt to taste. Bring it back to a boil.
5. Serve hot with plain rice or nasi lemak (coconut milk rice).
Serves 4 to 6
A Singaporean SAHM living in Houston, Texas. Discovering her potential in the kitchen with authentic Singaporean Cuisine. And exploring the dynamic food scene Houston has to offer.
Miss Crumbs A Lot is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
For more details, please read my Disclosure Policy.