Spaghetti Squash Bolognese, a wonderful pasta alternative that is lower in carbs & calories served with a simple bolognese sauce, a healthy week night dinner option!
One of Bella's & Jamie's favorite week night dinner is Spaghetti Bolognese and because it is such a quick & easy recipe, I make this dish as often as every other week. However, trying to stay on a low carb diet with a pasta meal makes it rather difficult to adhere to it. And we were starting to get tired of zucchini noodles or "Zoodles". So, I decided to try spaghetti squash instead.
I roasted the spaghetti squash and paired it with my usual bolognese sauce. It was delicious! The stringy squash resembled regular spaghetti and has a slight sweet flavor to it. Both Bella and Jamie loved it and have since requested that I make the squash as a pasta alternative for them too.
Spaghetti Squash Bolognese
by Miss Crumbs A Lot
1 Medium Spaghetti Squash
1 lb Minced Beef (20% fat, 80% lean)
3 stalks of Celery
1/2 Large Onion
5 cloves Garlic
1 28 oz Can Tomato Sauce
1/4 cup White Wine or White Wine Vinegar
Salt & Pepper
3 tbsp Olive Oil
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut the spaghetti squash into half, remove the seeds and rub 1 tbsp of olive oil and a little salt on the inside.
3. Place the squash cut side down onto a baking tray, add a little water in the tray and bake for 40 to 60 minutes (depending on the size of the squash and if you prefer it more al dente or softer).
4. In a food processor, mince the carrots, celery, onion and garlic (separately)
5. Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pot and stir fry the minced onion and garlic until fragrant.
6. Add minced carrots and celery and continue stir frying for a few minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
7. Add white wine into the vegetables and mix well.
8. Add the minced beef and stir fry until meat is cooked, breaking up the minced meat.
9. Season with salt and pepper. Allow it to simmer for 20 min.
10. When the squash is done and cooled slightly, use a fork to fluff the squash to make the insides resemble spaghetti. Serve with bolognese sauce and parmesan cheese, if desired.
Makes 4 servings
A Singaporean SAHM living in Houston, Texas. Discovering her potential in the kitchen with authentic Singaporean Cuisine. And exploring the dynamic food scene Houston has to offer.