A sweet and savory miso sauce, spread on fried eggplants then broiled to perfection.
I have always been a fan of eggplants or what is also commonly known as aubergines. In Singapore, I actually grew up calling it brinjal. I particularly liked the soft and mushy texture when it is cooked, especially when they are fried or oven broiled till they are charred on the surface. Eggplants are often used in many cuisines in Singapore; Indian curries, Chinese Yong Tau Foo and in Japanese & Korean dishes as well.
I started making this recipe quite regularly when I wanted a low fat meal but still feel full from it. Spicy Miso Eggplant is fairly easy to make with a simple store bought miso sauce. The miso sauce adds a lovely umami flavor to the somewhat slightly bland eggplant. It makes a great side dish for sharing or as a main dish on its own.
Spicy Miso Eggplant
by Miss Crumbs A Lot
1 Large Eggplant
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 tsp Sesame Oil
4 tbsp Spicy Miso Sauce (or you can use regular non-spicy miso sauce)
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Cut the stem off and slice the eggplant into half. Hold the eggplant half, skin side down, in the palm of your hand and use a small sharp knife to cut the flesh into a diamond pattern. Ensure that you do not cut all the way through.
3. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and season the eggplants with a pinch of salt & pepper. Pan fry the eggplants, flesh side down on the pan for a few minutes, until they are lightly charred.
4. Remove from heat and brush on 1 tsp sesame oil and 2 tbsp spicy miso sauce on each eggplant half. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top.
5. Bake in 425 degrees F on middle rack of oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the eggplants are soft and cooked through. Broil for 7 to 8 minutes on high on middle rack to charr and brown the eggplants further before serving, if desired.
Makes 2 servings
A Singaporean SAHM living in Houston, Texas. Discovering her potential in the kitchen with authentic Singaporean Cuisine. And exploring the dynamic food scene Houston has to offer.